Success for the Sixes
Evaluating the sports commentary around the new Golf Sixes tournament format.
The European Tour launched the Golf Sixes concept in May 2017. Two-man teams from 16 nations competed in this inaugural tournament. Bringing a raft of new innovations to the game.
The European Tour wanted to understand;
- Sentiment to the format and tournament from across the golfing world
- What aspects were received most positively and negatively
- Anything they could improve upon for future events
Klood Radar was used to capture the volume of commentary pre, during and post the event in May. This commentary was then coded and analysed to meet the objectives and provide far more depth and structure to the findings:
- Each post was coded for content with key topics and sentiment applied
- Date, source type, domain, country, author and author type were also recorded
- This process ensured that analysis could derive qualitative insights with quantitative depth
Cutting through the noise to understand the true sentiment.
- Sentiment was overwhelmingly positive with a few elements to be improved on in the future
- The ‘razzamatazz’ associated with the inaugural event needs to be toned down
- Amateur players and long-term golf fans are the audience who will take more convincing on this new format
- Golf Sixes is here to stay